Thursday, September 6, 2012

one that i love, but didn't get into this set of cards

this is the oven bird.
they live in my area of pa on the forest floor, they make a really cool nest, which is what they are named after.
i loved this little bird so much.
after laying out all the birds in the series i decided that i would have to cut him.
it broke my heart as i really loved painting him, i loved learning about him, and his little feet in this painting just GOT ME.
(so did the orange striped cap)
i do tend to favor the ones that everyone overlooks.
in my mind this is as fascinating as a cardinal, but not as showy.
with THIS bird, you have to learn to appreciate the subtle shadings of feathers, and how amazingly well this bird is designed to hide in the mulch layer of the woods.
no he isn't the most eye catching of birds but that is the whole POINT!
cool huh?
maybe eventually i will do a series with these quite birds.....what do you folks think?


oh and we are getting better around here.
today i was able to get the ducks out (with help)

1 comment:

  1. i WOULD LOVE TO SEND YOU MY FATHERS BIRD BOOKS, WHEN I CAN AFFORD SHIPPING, I WILL!!! MICHELLE

    ReplyDelete

please let me know what you think of this post and this blog, it means so much to me